Thursday, July 6, 2017

Pieathalon IV: Lemon Raisin Pie!


It's Pieathalon time!

I'm so excited to be participating in this year's Pieathalon, hosted by the winsome Yinzerella over at Dinner is Served 1972 . You hopefully know the setup by now - 12 or so of your favorite food bloggers (that's me!) are tasked with digging up a quirky pie recipe, then the recipes are thrown into a virtual hat and swapped around.

This year, Dr. Husband has taken it upon himself to become a pie expert, relieving of the burdens of ever having to deal with crust in any form.

Unfortunately, I do have to deal with something equally odious - RAISINS. I bear the psychological scars of having been fooled one too many times at the Cineplex, biting down into what I assumed was a salty sweet Goober, only to find out too late that it was a Raisinette. The dreams haunt me still.

So you can imagine my, um, *delight* in being assigned LEMON RAISIN PIE, a little gem from 1950's More Downright Delicious Sun-Maid Raisin Recipes contributed by Bittersweet Susie:


Raisins - A distinctive California Product! - "are a valuable source of concentrated, quick energy food value...rich in natural fruit sugar and body building minerals. They are a splendid food confection for growing children."

What the Sun-Maid marketing team neglected to include was, "Raisins are horrible wherever and whenever they are encountered. They belong in one place and one place only, bread pudding. Also in oatmeal if you're a communist."

So, let's get right down to it, shall we? The recipe as it appears in print:


Your first step, of course, is to call Dr. Husband to drop whatever he's doing and come make your crust.  He uses the recipe found on the Nothing In the House Pie Blog. After that, the rest is easy squeezy. Just watch and see if it isn't so!


And be sure to check out all of my comrades-in-arms and their tasty (or not) pies!

Apple Cheese Pie at A Book of Cookrye
Nutty Caramel Pie at Granny's Pantry
Old-Timety Apple Pie at Recipes4Rebels
Chicken and Sausage Pie at Dinner Is Served 1972
Waffle Pie at Bittersweet Susie
Angel Pie at Vintage Recipe Cards
Fluffy Lime Pie at Retro Food for Modern Times
Savoury Pie at Food and Wine Hedonist
Pistachio Pie at BattenburgBelle

 Our Rating: Three Screaming Husbands!
(all dishes are rated from one to five Screaming Husbands. One Screaming Husband equals a happy home where all problems are solved during cocktail hour. Five Screaming Husbands signals the beginning of divorce proceedings.)


5 comments:

  1. I'll trade you the raisins for an unspeakable amount of American cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heartily agree with you on raisins. Why ruin a good lemon pie with rat turds... I mean raisins? (Or coconut, for that matter. Why eat pencil shavings bathed in sunblock?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This makes me think of that part of Benny and Joon when she says something like raisins are dead grapes.
    Sorry that they ruined a perfectly good lemon meringue pie!!!
    Thanks for being a part of it all, Dr. Bobb!!!!
    (Knoxapocalypse may have to return soon)

    ReplyDelete
  4. One: YAY! YOU ARE HERE AGAIN!

    Two: This pie is the stuff my nightmares are made of. Raisins horrify me, and a whole pie of raisins would probably make me burst into tears at your table. So I get you. I am with you. Let's go find some other pie together and leave Sissy and Dr. Husband to their hideous palates.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would never put raisins in oatmeal. Does that mean I am NOT a communist? I am with you on the feelings of horror brought on by the concept of a pie full of raisins so WELL DONE for being such a good sport and making it anyhow, I'm guessing that most of it went the way of the Rum Pie that I made? Or did your chum take the leftovers home? Love your videos - Jenny @ Silver Screen Suppers xx

    ReplyDelete