Monday, December 16, 2013

The Fourth Day of Kitschmas: Frozen Fruitcake Salad

Frozen Fruitcake Salad
from Vintage Recipe Cards
There's a fantastic blog out there called Vintage Recipe Cards, and honestly, if I were lazier I could just pretty much lift all my recipes from there.  (I mean, I AM pretty lazy, but.)  I saw a picture of this one and just couldn't resist trying it out.

1 cup dairy sour cream
1/2 of a 4 1/2-ounce container frozen whipped dessert topping, thawed
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 15 1/2-ounce can crushed pineapple, drained
2 medium bananas, chopped
1/2 cup red candied cherries, sliced
1/2 cup green candied cherries, sliced
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

In mixing bowl blend together sour cream, dessert topping, sugar, lemon juice, and vanilla. Fold in fruit and nuts. Turn into 4 1/2-cup ring mold. Cover; freeze several hours or overnight. Unmold onto lettuce-lined plate. Garnish with additional candied cherries, if desired. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Makes 8 servings.

You should be forewarned that there's really very little salad-y about this. It's very sweet, and of course, frozen, so it's better conceived of as dessert, I think.  And a little goes a long way - so, much like fruitcake, the leftovers will likely be in my freezer until I move.

Here, Dr. Husband and I try it out while talking about nothing:

No comments:

Post a Comment