Friday, June 14, 2013

Old-Fashioned Cole Slaw

Old-Fashioned Cole Slaw
Joys of Jell-O, pg. 58
I didn't set out for this blog to become entirely about gelatinized versions of your favorite dishes, but it does seem to be shaping up that way, doesn't it?  I'm going to have to do a little more research into this, but I'm starting to believe that gelatin, in particular Jell-O brand (America's favorite!) can change one's brain chemistry so that one starts to crave it, as Husband has been doing lately.  In fact, we almost came to blows because he requested a classic fruit-cocktail-in-Jell-O dessert, and I, being an already-busy homemaker, tried to half-ass it, and was chastised for not presenting a dessert that was just so!

And then came the miraculous day- we were eating cole slaw, alongside some grilled bratwurst. Husband had been discussing his hopes that another gelatin dessert would be forthcoming. And then he uttered a phrase that will live in legend in our household for eternity:

"Is there a way to put cole slaw in Jell-O?" 

Because, I mean, of course there is, there's a way to put anything in Jell-O, as anyone knows who's spent as much time thumbing through 1962's The Joys of Jell-O as I have.

So, let's get right to it, shall we?

1 package (3 oz.) Jell-O Orange-Pineapple, Lemon, or Lemon-Lime gelatin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup cold water
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon grated onion
1 tablespoon prepared mustard
2 tablespoons vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
3 cups shredded cabbage
1 tablespoon parsley
2 tablespoon pimiento

Dissolve Jell-O Gelatin and salt in boiling water. Add cold water; then blend in remaining ingredients. Chill until slightly thickened. Pour into a 1-quart mold or individual molds. Chill until firm. Unmold. Makes about 4 cups, or 8 side salads.

This is so simple to put together, it almost felt like cheating. In fact I did cheat a little bit, by using a bag of already-shredded cabbage instead of shredding it myself, but I figured the convenience cooker of the 60's would have done the same had it been available.  My nod to authenticity was using Duke's mayonnaise and French's yellow mustard. And, of course, I used lemon Jell-O, which is always the go-to flavor if you're given the option.

What we thought: Since Husband knew the ingredients already, I decided to spring the dish on an unsuspecting but good-natured dinner guest, alongside a baked chicken.  The tasting went something like this:

   Guest: It's like Cole Slaw, but better, cause there's this extra creamy, lemony thing.

   Husband: It's creamy, it's lemony, it's got the crunch of Cole Slaw, but it's not watery like Cole Slaw.    
   It's so creamy and delicious! (several "mmm's" follow this on the recording)

   Guest: I want this on my barbecue sandwiches from now on instead of regular Cole Slaw.

   Husband: Try it with the chicken, it goes great with the chicken.

   Guest: It is very good with the chicken.

I think I can claim success, and to think that even I was scoffing at this one.  But it works wonderfully, and this is coming from someone who doesn't even really like regular Cole Slaw at all.  Try it, ladies, at your next backyard party, and I bet you'll be the talk of the neighborhood!

Our Rating: Zero screaming husbands!
(all dishes are rated from one to five Screaming Husbands. One Screaming Husband equals a happy home where all problems are solved during cocktail hour. Five Screaming Husbands signals the beginning of divorce proceedings.)

1 comment:

  1. I'll be making this on Sunday. I'll report back on how my husband and house-guest respond. I have a feeling it will be a hit!

    ReplyDelete