Thursday, September 9, 2021

Ann Landers' Save Your Marriage Meat Pie! (Pieathalon 8!)

JUST when you thought life couldn't get any more exciting, along comes the highlight of the late Summer/early Autumn social calendar, Pieathalon! Pieathalon EIGHT if you can believe it. I am, as always, honored to be counted among the participants, especially considering my last post here was (*checks notes) Pieathalon SEVEN.  Thanks to my fellow food bloggers and especially Yinzerella at Dinner is Served 1972 for prompting me to get off my a** and make something for public consumption again.

Because apparently being stuck in the house for a year and a half with literally nothing else to do wasn't enough to get me motivated.

But enough about me, let's make a pie!

The excellent Jenny from Silver Screen Suppers sent me a recipe for "Ann Landers' Save Your Marriage Meat Pie." (Don't panic, my marriage doesn't need saving at the moment. THAT I KNOW OF.)


Being of a certain age, I remember a time when Ann Landers (née Esther Pauline "Eppie" Lederer) and her twin sister, Abigail Van Buren (née Pauline Esther "PoPo" Phillips), in their competing advice columns, dictated the social mores of middle America with their witty, no-nonsense advice. In my early formative years, I had the advantage of living in a home where we received TWO daily newspapers, and so I was doubly-indoctrinated into polite society. (Full disclosure: The morning paper, The Columbus Citizen-Journal, carried Dear Abby and also had a far superior comics' section, so if forced to choose sides I would have to lean towards PoPo).

Ann Landers (left) and Abigail Van Buren

The recipe seemed a bit intimidating at first glance. I'm not much of a baker (I usually recruit Dr. Husband to make my crusts for these things) and the idea of trying to manipulate a crust into a bundt pan made me perspire. (In fairness, my only bundt pan is a pliable silicone thing that makes for easy cleanup but doesn't tend to hold the shape of whatever's in it very well.)

So, my crack Googling skills led me to the idea of little mini-muffin pies.

With my new goal in mind, I made the following modifications:
I halved the recipe across the board (maybe a mistake – read on)
I used ground turkey in place of pork – I live in the middle of nowhere and only ever see ground pork as part of a "meatloaf mix" and YES, I could have gone to the butcher and asked for some special order, but everyone is masked and also I don't like talking to people
I did not use chervil - see above about the middle of nowhere and also I don't know what chervil is and YES, I could have Googled it, but I had already Googled that day and I am awfully lazy

The dough came together very easily and was not nearly as sticky as I was led to believe. 

BUT. 

The dough didn't seem to rise. AT ALL. Maybe something got mis-aligned in my halving of the amounts? I know the yeast activated before I mixed it in, and the dough retained a delicious buttery, yeasty aroma throughout, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Likewise, the meat mixture was simple enough, my only regret being that I didn't have the Hamilton-Beach meat grinder that my mother received for Christmas, 1963. (Photo evidence below. If you can manage to keep your eyes from lingering on the fabulousness of the Christmas tree and the television.) 


As far as I remember, my mother used the meat grinder EXCLUSIVELY to grind up leftover ham for ham salad, and it sat in her kitchen well into my adulthood, and though she's no longer with us I'm pretty sure it still exists, intact and operational, somewhere in my own home or one of my siblings'.

Un-risen dough now rested, I shaped it into a muffin tin with varying degrees of success. Not only did it not noticeably rise, but it retained a very springy texture. By the time I had finished shaping one slot, the dough in the previously-completed slot had pulled back from the edges and begun to pull into itself. It was a race against time.

Once filled, I tried to get fancy with the remaining dough, again with varying degrees of success, as evidenced by the shot glass in the background.


I baked at 400 for just shy of 20 minutes, maybe that was even a little too long as they probably got a little too brown on the bottom.



So how did they taste? 

SPOILER ALERT my marriage is safe. FOR NOW


Check out my fellow Pieathletes' creations below, and stay tuned because KITSCHMAS IS COMING

Rum and Butterscotch Pie at Vintage Recipe Cards
Surprise Fudge Pie at Silver Screen Suppers
Tarte a l'Orange at Recipes for Rebels
Chocolate-Crusted Coffee Pie at Grannie Pantries
Osgood Pie at A Book of Cookrye
Tarte au Petite Suisse at The Nostalgic Cook
Dinner is Served 1972

ALSO: Did you know Dr. Husband and I have a podcast? And Dr. Husband even has another one all his own?


23 comments:

  1. They are so cute!! i love your lattice crust! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Herbal treatment is 100% guaranteed for HSV cure, the reason why most people are finding it difficult to cure HSV is because they believe in medical reports, drugs and medical treatment which is not helpful to cure HSV. Natural roots/herbs are the best remedy which can easily eradicate herpes forever. i never thought i could ever get cured of herpes not until i met dr Okhai, i have used several drugs up to no avail, the symptoms keeps increasing at a certain time i couldn't seat in public with people the itching was much that it became embarrassing . My story changed when I came across dr.OKhai herbal post online. At first I was scared not to fall victim again because several fake herbal doctors had collected money from me and nothing happened. I didn't even see the herbal medicine nor did I get cured. So i summoned courage and i contacted him and within 4 days i receive the herbal medicine, prescription on how to use it was in it , i used it as prescribed for 18days and after 2days i went for test and herpes was no more, im so happy for the past 3yrs i have been living in pains. please if you are still out there suffering from herpes or any other form of infection i indulge you to contact dr Okhai and be healed so you can live your normal life again. You can reach him on drokhaiherbalhome@gmail.com or whatsapp ;+2347017709481
      @drokhaiherbalcure.
      YOU CAN ALSO CONTACT HIM FOR OTHER INFECTIONS AND DEADLY DISEASE

      Delete
  2. I laughed from "the idea of trying to manipulate a crust into a bundt pan made me perspire," until the very tail end! Your results were quite handsome! Looking forward to Kitschmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A for effort and creativity!
    Also, what is this Kitschmas? How do I get invited?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. You have an open invitation, can you sing?

      https://www.youtube.com/user/DoctorBobbsKitschen/search?query=kitschmas

      Delete
  4. It's so nice to see you again! And the pies looked really good. You'd never guess the dough was supposed to rise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your open admission of laziness too! I'm not the only one.

    I'm also unnerved by how well you seem to know me. Of course I was mostly looking at the aluminum tree and the old TV rather than the people in your photograph! It's like you can read my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum, those look really good! I searched to see if anyone had actually made it in a Bundt pan and found nothing, so I'm guessing you made the right call. Plus, those are cuter than a giant meaty Bundt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I probably just woke up my neighbours by shrieking and then guffawing at Dr Husband's comment. "There's no prize? Then why do you do it?" HAHAHAHAHAHAH! We retro food bloggers often ask ourselves this very same question. Please let him know that there will be a Vincent Price Cucumber Crocodile contest running soon at Silver Screen Suppers and there WILL be prizes. A specially commissioned Vincent Price finger puppet and a spooky gothic candle in the shape of a very realistic finger to be precise. Hahahah. I LOVED your take on this pie. So pleased that your marriage does not need saving THAT YOU KNOW OF! Get yourself back in the kitschen Dr Bobb we need this stuff more than ever xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is real take it serious, who will believe that a herb can cure ten
    years HIV in my body, i never believe that this will work i have spend a
    lot when getting drugs from the hospital to keep me healthy, what i was
    waiting for is death because i was broke, one day i hard about this great
    man who is well know of HIV and cancer cure, i decided to email him,
    unknowingly to me that this will be the end of the HIV aids in my body, he
    prepare the herb for me, and give me instruction on how to take it, at the
    end of the two week, he told me to go to the hospital for a check up, and i
    went, surprisingly after the test the doctor confirm me negative, i thought
    it was a joke, i went to other hospital was also negative, then i took my
    friend who was also HIV positive to the Dr voodoo after the treatment she
    was also confirm negative . He also have the herb to cure cancer please i
    want every one with this virus to be free, that is why am dropping his
    email address, voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com i want you to email him he
    is a great man. the government is also interested in this Dr voodoo
    thank you for saving my life, and I promise I will always testify
    for your good work you can also add him on whatsApp
    +2348140120719

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to appreciate the great work of Dr USELU, i have been diagnosed of HIV virus for 3 years, i have lose all hope that there is a cure and i have been taking medicine to sustain myself not until i got to know about Dr USELU, i contacted him and he sent me his herbal medicine which i took as prescribed by him for some days and i went to the hospital after finishing the herbal medicine. To my greatest surprise i was confirmed HIV Negative after years of being positive, it is indeed a miracle.You can contact him for help. he can also cure the following (1) BRAIN TUMOR (2) LUPUS (3) CANCER (4) HSV-1 (5) HPV (6) HERPES (7) PAD (8) DIABETES etc.. his whatsapp number: (+2347052898482)   email: dr.uselucaregiver@gmail.com  his website: https://druseluherbalhome.simdif.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Herbal treatment is 100% guaranteed for HSV cure, the reason why most people are finding it difficult to cure HSV is because they believe in medical reports, drugs and medical treatment which is not helpful to cure HSV. Natural roots/herbs are the best remedy which can easily eradicate herpes forever. i never thought i could ever get cured of herpes not until i met dr Okhai, i have used several drugs up to no avail, the symptoms keeps increasing at a certain time i couldn't seat in public with people the itching was much that it became embarrassing . My story changed when I came across dr.OKhai herbal post online. At first I was scared not to fall victim again because several fake herbal doctors had collected money from me and nothing happened. I didn't even see the herbal medicine nor did I get cured. So i summoned courage and i contacted him and within 4 days i receive the herbal medicine, prescription on how to use it was in it , i used it as prescribed for 18days and after 2days i went for test and herpes was no more, im so happy for the past 3yrs i have been living in pains. please if you are still out there suffering from herpes or any other form of infection i indulge you to contact dr Okhai and be healed so you can live your normal life again. You can reach him on drokhaiherbalhome@gmail.com or whatsapp ;+2347017709481
    @drokhaiherbalcure.
    YOU CAN ALSO CONTACT HIM FOR OTHER INFECTIONS AND DEADLY DISEASE

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good day to you all from the United States,I have been suffering from (HERPES) disease for the last eight years and have had constant pain, especially in my private parts. During the first year,I had faith in God that i would be healed someday.This disease started circulate all over my body and i have been taking treatment from my doctor, few weeks ago i came on search on the internet if i could get any information concerning the prevention of this disease, on my search i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from (Hepatitis B diabetes) by this Man Dr Ehimare and she also gave the email address of this man and advise me to contact him for any sickness that he would be of help, so i wrote to Dr Ehimare telling him about my (HERPES Virus) he told me not to worry that i was going to be cured!! hmm i never believed it,, well after all the procedures and remedy given to me by this man, few weeks later i started experiencing changes all over me as Dr Ehimare assured me ,after some time i went to my doctor to confirmed if i have be finally healed, behold it was TRUE, email Dr Ehimare on : (drehimare3@gmail.com ) whatsapp him : +1 (267) 691-1087 And He also have herbs medicine to cured the following diseases; eczema,urethra wart,chronic problems.Herpes, Cancer, Als,Hepatitis, Diabetes, HPV,Infections,ulcer ETC

    ReplyDelete
  12. All thanks to Dr Alli for curing my herpes virus/hpv with his herbal medicine, i do not have much to say but with all my life i will forever be grateful to him and God Almighty for using Dr Alli to reach me when i thought it was all over, today i am happy with my life again after the medical doctor have confirmed my HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS / HPV of 5 is gone,i have never in my life believed that HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS could be cured by herbal medicine. so i want to use this means to reach other persons who have this disease by testifying the power of Dr Alli that all hope is not lost yet, try and contact him by any means for any kind of disease with his email: ( Allispellhelp1@gmail.com ) or his whatsapp number +2348100772528 and get your healing

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was diagnosed of herpes 3 years, and ever since then i have been taking treatment to prevent outbreaks, burning and blisters, but there was no improvement until i came across testimonies of Dr. VOODOO on how he has been curing different people from different diseases all over the world, then i contacted him. After our conversation he sent me the medicine which i took according to his instructions for up to 2 weeks. After completing the medication i went back to my doctor for another test and the virus was all gone and i was completely cured, since then i have not had any signs of outbreak. I'm so filled with joy. With herbal medication Herpes Virus is 100% curable. I refer Dr VOODOO to everyone out there with the virus Email: voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com Add Dr voodoo on whatsApp +2348140120719

    ReplyDelete
  14. thats amazing. i love your effort.
    https://reviewlin.com/meat-grinders/

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have been suffering from herpes since 2013, I have spent a lot on drugs an herbs which has all proved abortive, I have tried all means in life to cure this herpes , but there was no answer until I met Dr Excel and I contacted him and he prepare medicine for me which I took I am now Herpes Negative, I am very very happy, thanks to Dr.Excel for helping my life come back newly again without any form of crisis, I promise to tell your name and good deeds to the whole world. Kindly contact him for cure regarding any type of Herpes virus: Excelherbalcure.com

    ReplyDelete

  16. Contact dr Irene health care for herpes cure and you will get cured as i am a living testimony of his good work….. Here is his contact Whatsapp number +234-807-879-3935

    ReplyDelete
  17. I thought the physicians says there is no cure for HSV 2!!! I am telling you today that DR.UMA cure HSV 2 with his herbal medicine and once you get cured you are cured forever it is never reversible, I have been suffering for this deadly disease called h HSV 2 for more than a 2years and lost all hope because my doctor says there is no cure for HSV 2. Brethren I saw a testimony on the internet on how DR.UMA cure HSV, Hapatitis etc with his herbal medication and an email and watsapp to contact him was also displayed, I thought this was joke but I decided to contact him and he replied telling me not to worry that my problem is over . DR.UMA sent me a herbal medication to drink for one month but only 2weeks I feel strange and I went to my doctor and he confirmed me negative. He can help you too. Contact him via email...dr.umaherbalcenter@gmail.co m WhatsApp +2347035619585. He is capable of curing AUTISM, HERPES, HPV, HSV1&2, HEPATITIS A B C, and DIABETES.

    ReplyDelete


  18. I want to share a testimony of how Dr.odoma herbal mixture cream saves me from shame and disgrace, my penis was a big problem to me as the size was really so embarrassing,and I was also having a weak erection problem. I can't make love to my wife and my penis was just too small a full grown man like me having 2 inches penis and to worsen it i don't last in sex i cant even last two minutes it was really a thing of shame to me. My wife was really tired of me because my sex life was very poor,she never enjoyed sex,i was always thinking and searching for solutions everywhere until when i saw a testimony of how Dr.odoma herbal mixture cream have been helping people regarding their sex life, so i decided to give him a try and to my greatest surprise in less than one week of taking the herbs my penis grow to 9 inches i couldn't believe my eyes. And as I speak now my penis is now 10 inches and I do not have a weak erection again. I can make love to my wife longer in bed. And my marriage is now stable,my wife now enjoys me very well in bed. can contact him by calling or what-apps him through +2348100649947 . or email Drodomasolutionhome20@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete